Minor Illness Clinic
Referral by the doctor is not necessary and can be booked by telephone or online, often on the same day. This clinic can issue prescriptions and specialises in the following complaints:-
- Loin pain
- Chest infections
- Ears* – Middle ear pain, discharge.
- Eyes – Conjunctivitis, infection, allergies.
- Minor Injuries
- Indigestion, heartburn
- Mouth – Ulcers, thrush
- Sinuses – Sinusitis
- Hay fever
- Throat – Sore throat, thrush
- Uncomplicated back and neck pain
*Please note that ear syringing (Irrigation) should not be booked Online as it has to be carried out in our general treatment room. If you think you need your ears irrigating then please 'phone for a general treatment room appointment.
The Minor Illness Clinic allows 15 minutes per patient as opposed to 10 minutes for a normal consultation with a doctor. This allows for some of the conditions above to be treated there and then. If the condition proves to be more complex and/or more serious then the nurse will call the duty doctor in to see you as part of this consultation.
Therefore, it is quicker to see the nurse first for the above complaints rather than the duty doctor.
Infants under the age of one should be seen by a GP.
Travel Advice and Immunisation
We run a full travel immunisation advice and vaccination service. There are a couple of things to remember about this service:-
- Don't leave it to the last minute. Depending on your destination, some vaccinations need more than one course of treatment before you go and others need to take affect.
- Not all vaccinations can be given at once.
- Not all vaccinations are free. Click hear for a list of vaccination prices. Note that drug pricing changes very quickly and is subject to change without notice.
Phlebotomy (Blood Samples)
A blood test is a good starting point to finding out what is wrong. You cannot book yourself into this service. The doctor or specialist nurse will refer you.
Women & Teenage Health
This is a full female service which covers:-
- Cervical cytology (smear tests).
- Sexual health advice regarding signs and symptoms for sexual transmitted infections.
- General contraception advise including choices available to women:-
- Combined pill/mini-pill
- Contraception injections
- Emergency hormonal contraception (morning after pill).
General Treatment Room
Our Practice Nurses specialise in various services which include:-
- Removal of stitches/sutures following surgery.
- Injections prescribed by doctors such as vitamin B12, male hormones, psychiatric medicines etc.
- Flu/Pneumococcal injections. We also operation special flu clinics during the autumn and winter months. These clinics are by invitation only.
- Assessment and treatment of all types of wounds including minor burns.
- Blood pressure checks and monitoring. This has to be referred by the doctor or specialist practice nurse.
- Childhood and baby immunisations.
- Irrigation of ear wax to remove the build up of wax causing hearing difficulties. Assessment and advice on removal of ear wax.
- Smoking cessation service. We give advice, support and preparation to stop smoking including free nicotine replacement option for six weeks.
Life Style Advice
If you are worried about your life style then we can assess and advise on the following:-
- Blood Pressure (BP) assessment.
- Weight loss advice.
- Smoking cessation.
- Menopause advice.
- Well man advice.